Kite Instructor Wanted for Boutique Kitesurfing Tour Company!
Kite Instructor – Cocos (Keeling) Islands
July – September 2021 (Full season 13week / 2 Week Volunteer)
Description of Position and Duties
At Zephyr Tours, we deliver an immersive and fully inclusive kitesurfing tour package, including transport, food, tuition, activities, adventures and more. For the duration of the 10-day tour, from the moment our guests are picked up in the morning, until bedtime each evening, every member of the team is expected to help provide exceptional customer service to our guests while ensuring that each day runs as smoothly as possible.
As the kite instructor/guide, your role is to help provide and deliver unique kiteboarding focused experiences for all our guests. You will assist in every aspect of the tour operation, from teaching and coaching kiteboarding, transport and logistics, cleaning and maintenance, all while socialising with our clients and creating an exceptional tour experience.
When out on the water or riding with our clients, your role is to inspire and encourage our clients, while constantly looking for opportunities to offer beneficial coaching tips and pointers to help get each guest stoked on kitesurfing. You will be using an array of coaching methods, including one-to-one lessons, coaching clinics and tutorials, and coaching from in the boat, both on and off the water. To help with these, radio headsets are supplied and recommended to be used for communication with clients on the water, while video cameras are available to film clients in aid of constructive and timely feedback.
The appropriate candidate will be a skilled individual who is passionate about kiteboarding, flexible, resourceful, and pro-active in their approach. They must be confident, have a strong work ethic and possess initiative, all the while helping to deliver the best kiteboarding and customer focused experience possible.
The right candidate will be responsible for coaching, guiding, transporting clients and supplies and helping deliver an exceptional tour experience for the duration of each 10-day tour. Behind the scenes or away from our clients, you may be required to perform tasks essential to the preparation and set-up of each tour, including maintenance, cleaning, food prep, early starts, late evenings.
The ideal candidate must have a passion for the sport of kitesurfing with the ability to enhance the client’s experience by sharing the stoke.
- Coaching and teaching kiteboarding.
- Operating the support boat and providing rescues to clients while on the water.
- Guiding on the water while providing an exceptional customer service experience.
- Transporting clients and supplies around the islands.
- Cleaning and general maintenance of kite centre, vehicles and staff accommodation.
- Active and constant application of all work, health and safety standards on and off the water.
- Adherence to Zephyr Tours code of conduct and quality standards.
- Reporting to managers and taking on feedback.
- Professional experience instructing kiteboarding – KA, IKO or equivalent qualification.
- Experience in hospitality, customer service and/or servicing large groups of up to 20 people.
- Passion for kitesurfing, be comfortable living in remote environments, and a desire to live in a tropical paradise.
- Ability to show initiative and possess strong problem-solving skills.
- Pro-active, professional and possess a positive attitude.
- Exemption 38 boat licence, or willingness to obtain.
- Intermediate kiteboarder skill level – must be able to perform basic tricks consistently.
- Competitive salary
- Shared accommodation
- All meals
- Opportunity to practice kitesurfing, surfing, spearing, freediving and more.
- Professional, high energy, exciting work environment
- Creative environment – bring your passion into the team.
We offer a competitive remuneration package that includes, accommodation, food, transport, use of kite centre equipment, flights from Perth and more. Details will be discussed at time of interview.